Programs for Adults
Disclaimer: Painaustralia aims to provide consumers with information about pain management options. The listing of pain therapies, programs and resources on our website is not an endorsement of these options. Individuals should consult with their clinician about the best options for their pain management.
New South Wales
- ADAPT An intensive group-based inpatient three-week multidisciplinary treatment program for people with chronic pain, run by the Pain Management Research Institute in Sydney.
- Seniors ADAPT An outpatient program run twice a week over four weeks for people aged 65 and over, run by the Pain Management Research Institute in Sydney.
- BPSM Program The Brief Pain Self-Management Program is a group-based outpatient treatment program, run by the Pain Management Research Institute in Sydney.
- Back to Life Pain Management Program A multidisciplinary pain management program conducted by Westmead Hospital, specialising in spinal and musculoskeletal pain.
- Osteoarthritis Chronic Care Program A multidisciplinary pain management program for public patients with knee and hip osteoarthritis in the Hornsby area of Sydney. (NSW Health).
- Osteoarthritis Chronic Care Program A multidisciplinary pain management program for public patients on the elective joint replacement list at Royal North Shore Hospital and Ryde Hospital. (NSW Health).
- The HammondCare Greenwich Hospital Pain Program A multidisciplinary pain management program consisting of three-hour weekly sessions over eight weeks. Includes follow-up sessions for three months.
- Mt Wilga Pain Management Program A multidisciplinary pain management program designed to address the complex needs of people living with pain, focusing on self-management. Runs twice weekly over six weeks.
- Osteoarthritis Management Program For people with knee and hip osteoarthritis to reduce joint pain and stiffness, conducted by Hunters Hill Private Hospital in Sydney.
- REGAIN An intensive integrated multidisciplinary group program that runs for two days per week for eight weeks. Private outpatient program run by the pain management team at Sydney Spine & Pain Rehab.
- Innervate Intensive Pain Program A multidisciplinary, cognitive behavioural pain management program run by Innervate Pain Management, Newcastle (9am-4pm, three days per week for four weeks, plus three follow-up contacts over six months). Vocational rehabilitation is the priority goal for all participants.
- Lawrence Hargrave Private Hospital Pain Management Program Multidisciplinary pain management program delivered over four weeks, two afternoons per week, based at Thirroul.
- Hunter Integrated Pain Service Hunter Integrated Pain Service (HIPS) provides education, multidisciplinary assessment and treatment groups for people experiencing chronic non-cancer and cancer pain. The HIPS team includes clerical, nursing, physiotherapy and psychology staff, along with doctors from anaesthesia, liaison psychiatry and pain medicine.
- Network Pain Management Program A multidisciplinary pain program conducted by EmpowerRehab in Melbourne. Includes assessment, case conference and treatment recommendations.
- Epworth Persistent Pain Program Conducted by Epworth, this program is for people with injuries or pain conditions that result from illness, work injury or road trauma that have not responded to usual rehabilitation.
- Advance Healthcare Pain Management Program A multidisciplinary pain management program that includes comprehensive and individualised specialist pain physician, physiotherapy and psychology assessment and treatment. The program helps patients fulfil their potential by targeting the individual barriers to recovery, with a focus on improving physical abilities and understanding of their pain.
- Precision Ascend Pain Management A multidisciplinary pain management program conducted over six weeks, several courses offered each year. Initial appointment within three weeks.
- Dorset Rehabilitation Centre Pain Rehabilitation Program A multidisciplinary pain management program to teach self-management strategies and improve quality of life. Arthritis Program also available.
- The Victorian Rehabilitation Centre Pain Management Program A multidisciplinary pain management program offered in both individual and group format to teach self-management strategies and facilitate return-to-work where appropriate.
- Merri Health Chronic Pain Management Service The Chronic Pain Management Service provides education on self-managing pain and develops pathways with other health professionals to reduce long wait times to access pain management services.
- Turning Pain into Gain A multidisciplinary pain management program offered by the Gold Coast Primary Health Network. Monthly program for six months as well as assessments, with up to 12 months of support and service access.
- The Wesley Pain Management Program A multidisciplinary rehabilitation program promoting self-management. It is conducted in small groups of six to eight participants and a variety of program options are offered.
- QPain Pain Management Programs Multidisciplinary pain management programs to teach patients how to better manage their pain. The main office is based at Kangaroo Point but if you live in a regional area of Queensland, telehealth services may be available to you through QPain.
- The Living Well With Persistent Pain Program A group-based multidisciplinary pain management program with individual pain assessments, run by the Adelaide Primary Health Network.
To view the APHN LWwPP Consumer Program Brochure, click here.
- Persistent Pain Self Management Program for adults.
- Precision Ascend Pain Management A multidisciplinary pain management program conducted over six weeks in Launceston.
OPALL program (overcoming pain and living life) is a 10 week client centred persistent pain program run in the community.
Black Swan Health Persistent Pain Program. Free 12-month program for clients living with chronic pain. A Clinical Facilitator with expertise in pain management provides individualised case management. All clients attend a self-management pain group education program.
Advance Online is a multidisciplinary pain management program delivered by specialist pain physicians, physiotherapists and psychologists using telehealth consultations and online resources. Advance Online is tailored to patient needs and can be accessed anytime, from anywhere in Australia. The program helps patients fulfil their potential by targeting the individual barriers to recovery, with a focus on improving physical abilities and understanding of their pain.
Permission to Move is a set of tools to treat chronic pain. It is an online course for patients looking to overcome their chronic pain, and it is a collection of resources for clinicians to use in practice.
- Control My Pain Project A holistic program to help people with chronic pain manage and reduce their pain naturally. Participants learn proven strategies for body, mind and social wellbeing – all supported by education on the science of pain. This online program can be taken at your own pace and offers a moderated support group.
- This Way Up Australia’s first online multidisciplinary pain management program offering participants pain education and strategies from physiotherapy, psychology and other forms of treatment. It is produced and supported by St Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney. It requires a referral from a clinician (GP, pain physician, doctor, nurse or allied health professional).
- Virtual Clinic Self-help online courses for people with anxiety and depression, run by St Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney.
- eCentreClinic Free online courses for people with chronic pain, anxiety or depression, run by Macquarie University.
- eCentre Clinic SCI Pain Course: A free internet-delivered pain education program for people with a spinal cord injury. The eCentreClinic is a not-for-profit initiative of the Centre for Emotional Health at Macquarie University, Sydney.
- Healthy Weight for Life A weight-loss and pain management program for people with osteoarthritis, offering clinical support online and over the phone. The cost is covered by several private health insurers but you will need a referral from your GP.
- painTRAINER is an interactive, online free tool that teaches people pain coping skills to help them learn strategies to effectively manage their pain.
Programs for Kids & Teens
- St Vincent's St Vincent's Private Hospital offers a variety of programs and services in Brisbane to help teenagers understand and manage their pain.
- SKIP SKIP is a community-based program for children under 14 living with pain and their families.
- The Complex Pain Service (CPS) at Perth Children's Hospital provides interdisciplinary care for children and adolescents with complex pain conditions as outpatients. The CPS team includes experienced medical, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, clinical psychology and teaching staff.